Ivan Ivanovich Shishkin (Russian: Ива́н Ива́нович Ши́шкин; 25 January 1832 - 20 March 1898) was a Russian landscape painter closely associated with the Peredvizhniki movement.
Shishkin was born in Yelabuga of Vyatka Governorate (today Republic of Tatarstan) and graduated from the Kazan gymnasium. Then he studied at the Moscow School of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture for four years. After that, he attended the Saint Petersburg Imperial Academy of Arts from 1856 to 1860 and graduated with the highest honours and a gold medal. He received the imperial scholarship for his further studies in Europe.
Five years later Shishkin became a member of the Imperial Academy in St. Petersburg and was professor of painting from 1873 to 1898. At the same time, Shishkin headed the landscape painting class at the Highest Art School in St. Petersburg.
For some time, Shishkin lived and worked in Switzerland and Germany on scholarship from the St. Petersburg Imperial Academy of Arts. On his return to Saint Petersburg, he became a member of the Circle of the Itinerants and of the Society of Russian Watercolorists. He also took part in exhibitions at the Academy of Arts, the All-Russian Exhibition in Moscow (1882), the Nizhniy Novgorod (1896), and the World Fairs (Paris, 1867 and 1878, and Vienna, 1873). Shishkin's painting method was based on analytical studies of nature. He became famous for his forest landscapes and was also an outstanding draftsman and a printmaker.
Ivan Shishkin owned a dacha in Vyra, south from St. Petersburg. There he painted some of his finest landscapes. His works are notable for poetic depiction of seasons in the woods, wild nature, animals and birds. In 1891, he was appointed professor-director of the landscape class in the Academy’s Advanced Art School. In 1898, he completed his painting The Pine Grove and died on 20 March in St. Petersburg, while working on his new painting.
A minor planet 3558 Shishkin, discovered by Soviet astronomer Lyudmila Zhuravlyova in 1978, is named after him.
- Robert Campin 1375-1444
- Jan van de Capelle Dutch Golden Age painter, 1626-1679
- Joseph Caraud French, 1821-1905
- Charles Edouard Edmond Delort France, 1841-1895
- Charles Edward Perugini Italian-born English painter, 1839-1918
- Henry Nelson O'Neil Russia 1817-1880
- Otto Mueller German painter, 1874-1930
- Charles Hunt British, 1803-1877
- Carl Holsoe Danish Painter, 1863-1935
- Howard Pyle American illustrator and author, 1853-1911
- Zakar Zakarian Armenian, 1849-1923
- Marcos Zapata Peruvian, 1748-1764
- Eugeniusz Zak French, 1884-1926
- Nutzi Acontz Romanian, 1894-1957
- Jankel Adler Polish, 1895-1949
- Gosta Adrian-Nilsson Swedish, 1884-1965
- Leonardo Alenza Spanish, 1807-1845
- Hoca Ali Riza Turkish, 1858-1939
- David Allan British, 1744-1796
- Christian Wilhelm Allers German, 1857-1915
We can do all styles and subjects: People, Landscape, Still life, Portrait, Impressionism, Abstract, classical paintings, Seascapes, Cityscapes, romantic sceneries, flowers, fruits, winebottle, animals, horse, monkey, tiger, dog, chicken, and modern oil paintings, religious paintings, art deco, POP art, oil painting with figures and nudes, contemporary artworks, realistic paintings by photo. Choose best material for all oil paintings, Attractive image and vivid color, assured quality.