Ludolf Backhuysen (or Bakhuizen) (28 December 1631 - 17 November 1708) was a German-born Dutch Golden Age painter who was the leading Dutch painter of maritime subjects after the two Willem van de Veldes (father and son) left for England in 1672.
He was born in Emden, East Frisia, and came to Amsterdam in about 1650, working as a merchant's clerk and a calligrapher. He discovered so strong a genius for painting that he relinquished the business and devoted himself to art from the late 1650s, initially in pen drawings. He studied first under Allart van Everdingen and then under Hendrik Dubbels, two eminent masters of the time, and soon became celebrated for his sea-pieces, which often had rough seas.
He was an ardent student of nature, and frequently exposed himself on the sea in an open boat in order to study the effects of storms. His compositions, which are numerous, are nearly all variations of one subject, the sea, and in a style peculiarly his own, marked by intense realism or faithful imitation of nature. In his later years Bakhuizen employed his skills in etching; he also painted a few examples each of several other genres of painting, such as portraits, landscapes and genre paintings.
During his life Bakhuizen was visited by Cosimo III de' Medici, Peter the Great and also worked for various German princes. In 1699 he opened a gallery on the top floor of the famous Amsterdam townhall. After a visit to England he died in Amsterdam on 17 November 1708.
- Arellano, Juan de Spanish, 1614-1676
- Armstrong, David Maitland American, 1836-1918
- Arpo, Guariento di Italian, 1310-1370
- Asselijn, Jan Dutch, 1610-1652
- Ast, Balthasar van der Dutch Golden Age painter, approx. 1593-1657
- Audubon, John James American 1785-1851
- Aved, Jacques-Andre-Joseph French, 1702-1766
- Avercamp, Hendrick Dutch, 1585-1634
- Baburen, Dirck van Dutch, 1595-1624
- Baciccio Giovanni Battista Gaulli, Italian, 1639-1709
- Bacon, Henry American painter, 1839-1912
- Baglione, Giovanni Italian Late Mannerist and Early Baroque painter, 1566-1643
- Bailly, David Dutch, 1584-1657
- Baldovinetti, Alessio Italian, 1425-1499
- Balen, Hendrick von Dutch, approx. 1575-1632
- Balla, Giacomo Italian, 1871-1958
- Bard, James American, 1815-1897
- Barocci, Federico Italian Renaissance painter and printmaker, 1526-1612
- Barry, James Irish, 1741-1806
- Baschenis, Evaristo Italian, 1617-1677
We can do all styles and subjects: People, Landscape, Still life, Portrait, Impressionism, Abstract, classical paintings, Seascapes, Cityscapes, romantic sceneries, flowers, fruits, winebottle, animals, horse, monkey, tiger, dog, chicken, and modern oil paintings, religious paintings, art deco, POP art, oil painting with figures and nudes, contemporary artworks, realistic paintings by photo. Choose best material for all oil paintings, Attractive image and vivid color, assured quality.